Friday, April 20, 2012

Record Store Day is My Jam

I should be doing more of this right now:
1mbqnn.jpg
Instead, I'm taking a quick break to get ready for Record Store Day. I am pumped about my first RSD in Nashville!  Record Store Day and Earth Day make for an awesome weekend, and my sister-in-law is also here for a visit. The only thing raining on my parade is the impending doom of  Law School Exam Week(s). Ideally, I would do a city-wide RSD tour, but with limited recreational time I was torn between Grimey's and Third Man Records. I decided to go with Grimey's, and I hope the weather permits the big yard sale they have planned. I am justifying the study break as a necessary errand to get some tunes that will help me get through finals. Here's what's on my list:

Shuggie Otis - "Inspiration Information" 7" w/"Magic"



One of my favorite songs by one of my favorite artists. I have most of his discography on iTunes, but "Magic" is an unreleased track. The purple vinyl is also insanely cool. If you don't know about Shuggie, do yourself a favor and look him up. Son of legendary bluesman Johnny Otis, Shuggie's career was arguably hurt by the fact that he was a multi-instrumental prodigy (in Stevie Wonder's shadow). Despite his lack of much deserved fame, Shuggie put out some quality work and made an appearance recently on Mos Def's The New Danger. They are rereleasing the full-length Inspiration Information album for the first time in forever in the U.S., but I got the import from 52.5 a few years ago in Charleston. 

The Explorer's Club - Grand Hotel
These guys would rock even if they weren't my homies. Their new record sounds fantastic and it has been well received. Catch them in Washington, DC for Earth Day on the National Mall!


Destroyer - Destroyer's Rubies
I'm not sure what's different about the "RSD Exclusive Release" version, but this is a great album and I'd like to pick up a vinyl copy.

There will be way too much music for my limited budget come Record Store Day. New music from M. Ward, Beach House, Blitzen Trapper, and the T-Rex Electric Warrior vinyl box set are all tempting. Even if you're not in Nashville, RSD has something to offer you. I'd like to give a shout out to Earshot Records, the newest record store to open in Charleston, SC. Check them if you are in Chucktown. It's great to support your local record store, and many stores will have free live music on Saturday. If you are in Nashville, I hope you take advantage of RSD and the wealth of our local record stores.  Maybe I'll see you at Grimey's. Just save the last Shuggie 7" for me!


_____________________
FYI, I don't get paid to promote or advertise for anyone. I'd rather recommend things that I find truly valuable and noteworthy. I hope to contribute more about my experiences playing music, living in Nashville, and attending law school. Your donations make it possible to keep this going without relying on advertising.

No comments:

Post a Comment